Army Tanks
Great Britain

Mark IV Light Tank

Active: 1934
Crew: 2
Weight: 4.6 tons (4,674kg)
Length: 11ft 2in (3.40m)
Height: 7ft (2.13m)
Width: 6ft 9in (2.06m)
Weapons: 1 x 0.303in (7.7mm) and 1 x 0.5in (12.7mm) machineguns
Armor Maximum - 0.47in (12mm)
Engine: Meadows 6-cylinder gasoline, 88hp
Speed: 35 mph (56 kph)
Range: 125 miles (201 km)

Britain's Mark IV light tank, which was developed by Vickers in the 1930s, was the first light tank in which the armored hull formed the chassis. Automotive parts were bolted onto the hull.

Its design was based on that of experimental "Indian Pattern" armored vehicles by Vickers.

The Mark IV had a longer hull than the Mark III.  It had thicker armor and a higher superstructure than the Mark III.

Mark IV Light TankThe turret of the Mark IV was similar to that of the Mark III.  The Mark IV's turret was set closer to the back of the tank than in previous versions of light tanks. Some versions of the Mark IV, which were sent to India, had a cupola.

Like its predecessors, the Mark IV had a Horstmann suspension. The idler wheel - the guide wheel that supports the tank track - was eliminated from the Mark IV.