Mark V Light Tank
|Weight:||4.15 tons (4,217kg)|
|Length:||12ft 1in (3.68m)|
|Width:||6ft 9in (2.06m)|
|Weapons:||1 x 0.303in (7.7mm) and 1 x 0.5in (12.7mm) Vickers machineguns|
|Armor||Maximum - 0.47in (12mm)|
|Engine:||Meadows 6-cylinder gasoline, 88hp|
|Speed:||32 mph (51 kph)|
|Range:||125 miles (201 km)|
The Mark V light tank was the first light tank to have a turret that accommodated two men. This meant that the tank carried three crewmembers, while earlier British light tanks had only two crewmembers.
In order for there to be enough room for the larger turret, as well as a turret ball race, the hull of the Mark V was lengthened compared to the Mark IV.
Mark V's turret had a rotating commander's cupola and held two coaxial Vickers machine guns, a 0.303 inch (17.7mm) and a 0.5 inch (12.7mm).
Although the Mark V light tank entered service in 1935, it and the Mark IV, which entered service in 1934, were both obsolete by the time World War II began.
These tanks were primarily used for training.